G. Willy Davila, MD, FACOG, FPMRS Urogynecology & Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery
G. Willy Davila, MD, has spent his professional career as an academic Urogynecologist; as a clinician, surgeon, teacher, researcher and thought leader. He is currently Director of Women and Children’s Services at Holy Cross Medical Group and Holy Cross Healthspital in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He directs the Center for Urogynecology and Pelvic Health at the Dorothy Mangurian Comprehensive Women’s Center.
Recognized as a leading vaginal surgeon, Dr. Davila has trained many US and international fellows and residents – many of whom are now in academic positions at leading institutions around the world. As such, he has been invited to do perform live surgical demonstrations at many conferences around the world, including in Argentina, Brazil, Peru, India, Nepal, Korea, Mexico, UK, Singapore, UK, Poland, China, Panama, Colombia, Portugal, Spain and others. Numerous of his teaching surgical videos are considered authoritative educational demonstrations.
Dr. Davila received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston and completed his residency at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and a gynecological urology clinical preceptorship at Long Beach Memorial Hospital at the University of California.
His administrative experience includes institutional leadership positions at Cleveland Clinic Florida and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He also directed the Fellowship training program in Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Florida. Previously, he was Director of the Gynecology and Continence Center in Denver, Colorado.
Dr. Davila is a firm believer in making patient care decisions based on openly reported outcomes. As such, he has given nearly 400 invited professional presentations and has published more than 250 book chapters and articles in peer-reviewed journals. . He has co-authored 5 textbooks including Pelvic Floor Dysfunction: A Multidisciplinary Approach and Practical Guide to Female Pelvic Medicine.
He is an invited Honorary Member of multiple international urogynecologic societies.
He is Chairman on the Urogynecology and Pelvic Floor Committee of the Federation of International GYN and Obstetrics Societies (FIGO).
He serves Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics, and was on the editorial board of the International Urogynecology Journal.
Dr. Davila is Past-President of the International Urogynecological Association (IUGA), the premier international urogynecologic professional society. A Founding Member of the Foundation for International Urogynecologic Assistance (FIUGA), he is the Coordinator for the FIUGA-sponsored Fellowship Training program in Urogynecology at BP Koirala Health Sciences Institute in Dharan, Nepal.
He is a past Chairman of the Board and current Chair of the Centers of Excellence Governance Board of the National Association for Continence (NAFC), the principal patient resource and advocacy entity in the US.
He has directed numerous postgraduate education courses and lectures extensively in the US and abroad. He has received many awards for his accomplishment in teaching, research and innovation. Dr. Davila’s current research interests include surgical management of genital prolapse and urinary incontinence in women.
- 1976-1979 University of Texas at El Paso, Texas - B.S. Biology
- 1979-1983 University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas - M.D.
- 1983-1987 University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver – Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency
- 1989 Long Beach Memorial Hospital, Long Beach, CA – Urogynecology Clinical Preceptorship, Donald Ostergard, MD
- Davila GW. COVID-19: Beware of potentially serious indirect consequences on women’s health. J Clin Gynecol Obstet 2020;9:1-2.
- Ossin DA, Davila GW. I-Stop Sling Tape: Is it associated with reduced exposure rates in apical prolapse and urinary incontinence procedures? J Clin Gynecol Obstet 2020;9(1-2):12-16
- Davila GW. Urogynecologic pelvic floor problems: Across the entire spectrum of women's lives. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020 Jun 25. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13282.Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32585034.
- Schachar J, Ossin D, Plair IR, Hurtado EA, Parker-Autry C, Badlani G, Davila GW, Matthews CA. Optimal timing of a second post-operative voiding trial in women with incomplete bladder emptying after vaginal reconstructive surgery: A randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2020;Jun3:S0002-9378(20)30616-s. doi: 10.1016/j/ajog.2020.06.001.
- Martin L, Ossin D, Schachar J, Devakumar H, Alas, A, Davila GW, Reis I, Miao F, Hurtado E. Comparison of methods to identify stress urinary incontinence in women with pelvic organ prolapse. Fem Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 2020. In press.
- “Distinguished Service Award” – International Urogynecological Association, 2017
- “Mentor of the Year” ACOG District VII, 2012
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation – 6th Annual Innovator Award, 2009
- “Excellence in Health Care Award” – South Florida Business Journal, Innovator Category, 2009
- “Scholar of the Year” – Cleveland Clinic Florida. 2007
- "The Most Outstanding Faculty Member Teaching Award." – UCHSC Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1991
- "Golden Apple Teaching Award" – University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1984-85; 1985-86
- “Reproductive Medicine Award” – University of Texas Medical School, Houston. 1983
Get Adobe ReaderYou will need the Adobe Reader to view & print these documents.
Center for Urogynecology and Pelvic Health
Holy Cross Health
Dorothy Mangurian Comprehensive Women’s Center
1000 NE 56th St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334